- 500 g Waxy potato
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1.5 tbsp Olive oil
- To taste Salt and pepper
- Pretreatment of ingredients: Wash potatoes without peeling;
- Peel the onions and wash the roots. Use a grater (preferably with a larger hole) to grate the onion into fine strands, drain the water and set aside.
- Turn on medium-low heat, put about half a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan, heat the oil and add the onion puree for about 5 minutes to become soft. Try not to colour. Remove and let cool.
- Add an appropriate amount of salt to the water to boil, add potatoes and cook until the surface becomes soft. You can easily insert a depth of about 0.5 cm with a fork. I cook for about 10 minutes with a medium sized potato. Remove from the pot, drain and refrigerate for 2 hours. The purpose is to better grate the fries in the next step.
- Peel the potatoes. Grate into strips with a grater (preferably with larger holes).
- Add onions and season with enough salt and black pepper and mix well. In order to keep the fries in a strip, try not to press them during the process.
- With medium to low heat, add half a tablespoon of olive oil and half a tablespoon of butter to a thick-bottomed pan.
- When the oil is sizzling, add the potato and onions and arrange them to make the cake as flat as possible. Press down gently with the back of the spoon and arrange the edges as smooth as possible. Keep frying for about 10 minutes until the bottom layer is golden and crispy. Look at the bottom layer while paying attention to make sure it is not burnt.
- Turn over the potato cake with a plate. To do this, prepare a large plate and brush it with oil (oiling is to make it easier for the potato cake to slip off the plate in the next step). Cover the saucepan with the plate and quickly invert the saucepan so that the fried side will transfer to the plate upwards.
- It will be better if you use a pan with a handle. Follow the method of sharing Tortilla in Spain before: press the dish with one hand and flip the pan with the other.
- Add half a tablespoon of olive oil and half a tablespoon of butter to the pan. When the oil is hot enough, slide the potato cakes down the pan to the pan. Similarly, cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until the bottom is golden.
- It is very delicious when served with fried egg or ham