Mussels in Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 500 g Mussels
- 2-4 (300) g Fresh tomato
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Shallot
- 75 ml White wine
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- ½ tsp Dried chillies flakes
- 1 handful Basil
- 1 tsp Caster sugar
- to taste Salt & pepper
- Prepare ingredients: Peel and chop shallots; Peel and chop garlic; Chop basil leaves (about 2 tablespoons required). Brush the shells and remove the beard (if any).
- Cut a cross on the bottom skin of the fresh tomato, put it in boiling water, cover it and soak it for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and peel.
- To make sauce: On low heat put olive oil in a pan. After the oil is hot, add the shallots and fry until they become soft and transparent. Add garlic and dried peppers to fry. Add tomato paste and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add white wine, mix well and cook until the liquid is halved.
- Add crushed tomatoes, fine sugar, and salt and black pepper, mix well.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes. During this period, you may need to add an appropriate amount of water. Use a blender to smoothen the sauce.
- Cook mussels:Turn the heat on (to create more steam), add raw mussels and cover with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes. Shake the pot occasionally. Cook until all the mussels are open. If some have not been opened, they may not be cooked yet. You can stir and cover the pot and cook for another 1-2 minutes. If it is still not open, it is recommended to remove it.
- Serving : Add the chopped basil leaves to serve. You can enjoy it with dipping sauce on toasted crispy bread.